July 22, 2007

Power & Success Meets the Friendly Skies (Part 3)


Okay, so it was time to calm down. I'd been dealing with airport hell for over an hour when I decided to call my pal, Hajii Otto. After all, he is known as America's #1 Chill-Out Guru, so if anyone could help me de-stress, it would be him. For almost 30 minutes I vented in Hajii's ear telling him my sad tale of woes while he was working his magic and helping me decompress. That's when he shared that he'd been in this situation tons of times before (Hajii has traveled the world more times than anyone I know), and he had some tips for me.

Then he laid the following bomb on me, "First you need to get out of victim mentality." I was thinking, "huh?" He gave me a second to process the idea before following it up with "You have the power to change this, you know. Remember that the airline is at fault for making you lose your flight, so take charge!" Of course, this last statement did give me pause. I had to admit that for a short span of time I had been thinking and acting very "un-divalike." So, it was time to put the power and success diva into action. This leads me to the next lesson.

POWER LESSON #2: Never assume that the first scenario that an airline (or any vendor for that matter) gives you is the very best they can do.

Then, Hajii shared with me a few more tips, including a little script that is bound to get anyone results at the customer service counter--my next stop. But first, I needed to put on the right attitude.
POWER LESSON #3: As the old adage goes, "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar." In other words, although we may feel completely angry and frustrated on the inside, we need to keep in mind that acting like it will get you few results. The key is to state the facts with authority all while remaining as kind and calm as possible. Hajii likes to call it a "bitch with charm," but he can get away with saying that because he's from the South. I prefer to call it "attitude with ettiquette."
Next up...the Customer Service counter. Go to Part 4. Check out Part 1 or Part 2 in case you missed them.

1 comment:

Shelly Marie said...

Rosemary,

From the Southern Belle to the Power Diva - excellent on keeping your cool using manners. It's amazing the power of manners!

-Shelly