August 22, 2007

Learn to Impress Friends & Family With a Signature Dish


I'll be the first to admit that it is rare day when I have the time and/or motivation to make a full home-cooked meal. There are just so many other options these days when it comes to fast, convenient, healthy food. However, I do have a signature dish that I make when I have time.

What is a "signature dish," you ask? Well, it is any epicurean delight that you learn to perfect in your own unique way. It is a dish that people associate with you. And best of all, it doesn't have to be difficult. My best friend has one signature dish: Eggs Any Style. Now you might not think that this is very impressive, but you should see the speed with which he prepares his eggs in any style you want. It is truly a wonder to behold. My signature dish is Black Beans & Rice (pictured), but it takes almost a full day to make, so don't expect to see it any time soon.

Right about now, you're probably thinking, "who cares about a signature dish." Well, what if I told you that this dish could increase your self-confidence, impress your loved ones and bolster your creativity. You might think I'm crazy, but I'm not. Here's why.

Let's say that you don't know the first thing about cooking. Having a signature dish can help your understanding of and confidence in all things culinary. But what if you already cook? Challenging yourself to learn a more difficult "signature" dish will not only give you a sense of accomplishment, it will most likely make you the envy of any pot luck! This leads me to my next point...how to impress your loved ones. Just imagine the satisfaction you'll feel when you serve your special dish to your family, significant other or friends and you hear them "ooh" and "awe" at your culinary skills. In the back of their mind, they'll be thinking, "when did he/she learn how to do this?" Ah, the sweet sound of success! Finally, there is no easier way to test your creativity than to look in the refrigerator or pantry and see what you can make with what is inside of it. You'd be surpised what Flaming Hot Fritos, strawberry jam, hot dogs and rice can make. (I bet you wish I were kidding about that.)

So if you don't have a signature dish yet, here is my gift to you. This is a lovely, easy recipe for Curry Coconut Chicken Stir Fry. The cook does an excellent job of explaining the preparation of this dish. And remember to tell everyone that you just "threw this together one day." It'll be our little secret. Bon appetit!!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I never thought about having a special signature dish. You are so right.......I can see how it can help me out.....

I'll actually try to cook the dish...the video was a great addition to the blog bec it showed me how to really cook that delicious dish....

Lover of good food....Mrs. Butterball