August 20, 2007

Something Old, Something New - How Old Hobbies Can Teach Us New Lessons


I remember when I was a little girl my grandfather would take our family to see baseball games all the time--he was a big Chicago White Sox fan. That's me as a baby with my grandfather. I have very fond memories of popcorn, peanuts, cracker jack and baseball with the family. When he died in 1980, our family stopped attending games. After all, he was the avid fan. Since then, I can count on one hand the number of baseball games I've attended.

My brother, who is a news reporter and web producer for FOX News in Milwaukee, was in town this past weekend. And wouldn't you know it, he wanted to go see a Dodgers game. It almost felt like my first time at a ball park again. It was so neat to see how much fun families were having in the stands, and it took me back to the days with my Grandpa. I had a great time, and to add to the fun, I was able to see the Dodgers beat the Colorado Rockies! However, the best part of it was being able to spend quality time with my family.





So when was the last time you reconnected with an activity from your youth? Did you used to go fishing with Dad, or shopping with Mom? Maybe your family had a special activities or game night? Whatever "hobby" you used to have as a kid, it's never too late to resurrect it and share it once again with family--even if your only family is a great group of friends. After all, money and fame come and go, but family is forever. And thanks to a baseball game, I now remember this important lesson.

To the outside world we all grow old. But not to brothers and sisters. We know each other as we always were. We know each other's hearts. We share private family jokes. We remember family feuds and secrets, family griefs and joys. We live outside the touch of time. --Clara Ortega

1 comment:

Hajii Otto: MS degree in Health Education, Certified Hypnotherapist said...

I love your family pictures. It really gave me a better feel about who you are personally...Keep sending those pictures......