July 6, 2009

The Importance of Sending Thank You Letters

I hope everyone had a fantastic 4th of July weekend. Now, it's back to the grind. For many of you this includes finding a job in this tough market. Well, we've got you covered.

During our recent Secrets to a Successful Job Hunt in ANY Economy seminar, our résumé expert, Shawna Lubs of Remarkable Resumes, talked about the importance of the thank you note. In case you missed this wonderful, FREE job clinic, we'll be holding another session on July 28, 2009 (more details coming soon). So without further ado, I'd like to offer this little video ditty on thank you notes to help your job search success!


You can learn more insider tips to make your thank you letters memorable at the "Secrets to a Successful Job Hunt" Job Clinic. Learn more about the clinic here or stay tuned for more information right at this blog.

3 comments:

ICT said...

Very often, your cover letter will be the first thing that a recruiter looks at when he sits down to do that all-important first sift. It is your first opportunity to leave a lasting and favorable impression and as such it should work every bit as hard as your resume, if not more so, to convince him that you are the best match for the job. Remember, the employer is looking for a really outstanding candidate and if your cover letter is in any way sub-standard or does nothing to tempt him into reading your resume, then he will not waste any further time on your application.

Remarkable Resumes said...

While I agree with ICT in that a cover letter is often your first chance to make an impression, a generic cover letter will not do that.

I don't think that a cover letter is always necessary. In my experience, if I receive a cover letter that is clearly generic, I toss both the cover letter and the resume, without even glancing at the resume. But, if I receive only a resume, and don't have to mess with the cover letter at all, I will read the resume in it's entirety (or until there is a typo, but that's a whole other ball of wax).

I agree with Rosemary's point about there being 3 distinct times when a cover letter is warranted, but I would also add that you should include one if it is specifically requested in the job posting.

Rosemary Laack said...

I agree with Shawna. Don't forget to send cover letters when they are specifically requested.